Tuesday 26 November 2013

Why me...


The projects that I am focusing in India, while extremely unique are also the need of the hour. The segments are extremely sensitive and not many unfortunately have ventured into the same. I have always believed that it doesn't matter if you are standing alone, eventually there will be others who will either seek you out because of common interest or learn from what you have done and take their own initiative. I believe in taking my own initiative and not wait for someone else and even if I fail, I don’t let that bother me and I just find another way of doing it.

I have been a brand consultant for a dominant part of my career and have been a networker. I believe if there is a problem then there is always a solution, it’s just a matter of finding it, it may take a little longer at times but then I have the patience for it. Through my experience in media industry and having worked in the social development segment I know how to leverage on relationships and create a synergy across a cross section of society. I believe inclusive approach is most critical for the growth and success of any campaign; every idea should attract more minds that can contribute and add to it further.

Putting structure for a home for differently abled - Sadhana Village, the cause that I have adopted is a home for mentally challenged adults. The biggest challenge there was to bring semblance to a set up that was started purely for emotional reasons and lacked any proper planning or management. But then intent and passion are very important ingredient for initiating such projects and as far as putting a structure or helping manage certain critical areas of project vis-à-vis revenue generation model, networking with corporate’s for adopting differently abled who were abandoned by their families is where I worked. By tapping in my network of corporates we ensured that through their CSR programs they supported such abandoned special friend’s minimum for a year. This also gave us time to plan further and deal with other challenges as well. I have been associated with the organization for over 9 years now and now hope to engage more integrally.






Ideation & implementation of ‘Smoke Free Mumbai’ campaign – We designed the campaign for Tata Memorial hospital, one of the premium institutes in India for Cancer treatment. The idea was to empower the non-smoker into knowing their rights in a public and work place. The focus of the campaign was very clear, we were not trying to traumatize or victimize the smoker but just creating awareness amongst the non-smokers. For this campaign we worked very closely with the municipal corporation of Mumbai, which also brought to fore some critical challenges. Because the campaign was to be implemented across Mumbai, it covered a vast span of land which was divided across 24 wards in Mumbai with a very large number of employee base. It was imperative that the person at the bottom of the chain was also aware of the role they had to play in implementation, otherwise the media would have had a field day with them and the success of the campaign would be under a big question mark. We devised a training module for officer across 24 wards of the corporation and ensure that no matter who engaged with the media, there was only one and consistent response to the same.  






Besides the same I have worked towards devising strategy and communications campaign for Habitat for Humanity in India and also devised communications strategy for Healis Sekhsaria Institute for Public health, which predominantly worked towards research in Tobacco use and policies in India. The campaign we designed for them was focused towards creating pressure on the tobacco industry through media and pressure groups to implement pictographic warnings on the cigarette packets. After running the campaign for 2 years we finally saw the implementation across the Cigarette packs in India, and while there is a long journey ahead it is a good start.

I have also been instrumental in consulting companies on their CSR & sustainability programs and helping them implement the same. Hence having worked across both sides its easier for me to comprehend and implement.

No comments:

Post a Comment